The park is around 130 years old. It received its name from the nearby Mariyinsky Palace. Mariinsky Park was founded in 1874 near central entrance of the Palace and the money for its foundation were budgeted by the wife of the Alexander II of Russia Maria Alexandrovna (Marie of Hesse). Appearance of the park changed a lot since that time. For example, in the end of 19th century marble busts and sculptures were erected along the alley. In 1900 cast iron fountain was established and it is still there.
At first the park was called “Tsarsky” (imperial), but after the revolution this name was inappropriate and it was changed into Mariyinsky. But park had other names as well. In different periods of its history it was called Park of the victims of the revolution, Proletarian park and Soviet park. In 1970’s – 1980’s children’s railway was functioning in the park. The last great reconstruction of Mariyinsky park took place in 2000.