The A.V. Fomin Botanical Garden is one of the oldest botanical gardens in Ukraine, located in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine.In 1839 the Kiev Taras Shevchenko University opened its own botanical garden. The botanical garden is 22.5 hectares (0.225 km²), with 8,000 plant species, including 143 recorded in the Ukraine’s Red Book of Rare Species. The Garden is famous for its exotic plants: it has the biggest collection of succulents among the countries of the former Soviet Union. The greenhouse, which was built for the largest and the oldest palm trees in Northern Eurasia, is among the highest in the world. In 1935 the garden was named after the academician and botanist Aleksandr Vasiljevich Fomin, who directed the garden for years. The vestibule of the Kiev Metro station Universytet, is located on the northern edge of the garden, which was opened in 1960.